Saturday 16 September 2017

Greetings from Uganda!


Greetings from Uganda!  First of all I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone for their prayers and support regarding the flight.  Despite my fear of flying, it was actually ok...I think prayers and valium are a good combination! I was also somewhat anxious about being let into the country, as a few days before I left I received an email from immigration saying my visa had been cancelled.  I did not mention this at immigration and simply presented my original paperwork and they let me in – praise the Lord.  I don’t know whether this email was a technical error or some kind of scam...but I am here safe and sound anyway!
On Wednesday morning I was eager to go down to the children’s homes to see the kids.  They are all on holiday just now, so all of them are home from boarding school, so it has been lovely to catch up with them.  They have enjoyed playing cards with me and teaching me how to make beaded bags, in addition to laughing at me and telling me how ‘big’ I have become.  In Ugandan culture this is a compliment, but now I am paranoid and will be watching what I eat, as I do not want to become any ‘bigger’!   
It was a joy to pop to the safe house and see the young mum’s and their babies on Wednesday as well.  They absolutely loved the teddies, kindly donated to me by Uncle Jim – thank you!  It has also been lovely to spend some more time chatting with the girls at the safe house...many of them have opened up and told me their stories, just this week.  Please pray for these girls, as they have experienced much trauma. 
It has been so humbling and sweet that people in the local community remember and recognise me, such as shop keepers and market sellers...though slightly awkward when I don’t recognise them instantly!    
It has also been lovely to catch up with some friends.  Isaac, my boda driver and his family are such a blessing and it was a joy to spend some time with his family on Thursday. 
On Thursday afternoon I took my sponsor boy, Davis, who is living in boy’s home, back to the slums to help me with the street outreach.  During my last trip Davis was sleeping in the half way house, in the slums, and used to help me so much with the boys on the street.  This Thursday was no exception.  When we arrived at the half way house the Uncle who normally stays with the boys was not around.  He had gone to the village for a burial.  One of the boys in the half way house boldly said to me – ‘But we can still do the programme aunty, yes?’  I was unsure if we could manage alone, but praise God, we did! The boys in the half way house prepared the food, whilst Davis and I went to collect the children.  Fewer children came than some times, but I think this was a blessing, as it made it more manageable and meant there was more time to chat and pray with them.  There were many kids that I was looking for on the streets, from previous trips, but I did not see them on Thursday.  Please pray for them, wherever they are.  It was also heartbreaking to see kids back on the streets that had previously been part of the RUHU programme, but have run back to the streets.  It is so complicated and such a vicious cycle to break.  I can only do so little, but I hope and pray I can at least show them some love. 
It has been a joy fellowshipping with the children in the evenings.  I am always so encouraged by them.  They remember songs and messages which I shared with them previously and have enjoyed learning some new songs.
I have only had two children at the dentist so far...but I am sure there will be many more to come! 
This morning I went to visit Robert and Junior and their family.  You may remember during my last trip I blogged about mama Maria, their mother who was very sick with cancer.  Shortly after I came home she passed away.  It was a blessing to spend some time with this family this morning, and hopefully offer some comfort by reassuring them that mama Maria is now at peace and no longer suffering.
In other news, on a lighter note, I had a rabbit named after me this morning – Ruthie the rabbit.  My little friend Henry at boy’s home has got a rabbit and wanted to name it after me!
Thanks so much for all your prayers, love and support – greatly appreciated!

I hope all is well with you.  Thank you for taking the time to read this ... I try to keep them short, but so much has happened already, I find it hard to be concise!  

The internet is incredibly dodgy...I certainly feel like I am in Uganda today...can hear the mouse scurrying about as I type too!  

Will post this writing whilst I have a connection, and hopefully post photos after, if the connection is still here and I haven't been eaten by the mouse! 

xxx

8 comments:

  1. Like the rabbit!
    Good to see how baby Moses has grown.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog as usual Ruth. Well done. Well written and very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Have printed off copies and will distribute at church tommorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruthie the rabbit !! Love it 😍
    So glad you arrived safe and sound. Sounds quite an adventure already!! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Relieved to hear you arrived safely despite the visa concern! Big! You're not big at all! Eat away! Glad you had a lovely time catching up, you're a part of their community. The slums visit sounds tough, while it feels like you are only do a little bit the fact they remember their times with you and have you've taught them shows your planting seeds and their growing. Sorry to hear about Mama Maria. I hope you're taking time to look after yourself in what has started to be a very busy visit already. Mice, eck! You have some amount of bravery to still be sitting there!

    ReplyDelete