Thursday 9 November 2017

Sometimes I think that I have so many stories to tell that I could write a book.....



Sometimes I think that I have so many stories to tell that I could write a book.  Then at other times I just sit down at my computer to blog and don’t even know what to write.  Tonight I am not even sure what to share with you- my brain is frazzled.  Perhaps it is after the boys deep theological questions tonight at prayers...I really could have done with ‘Phone a friend!’

First of all I want to thank you all for your prayers, particularly your prayers for safety – the roads are crazy here and I am thankful that I have been kept safe so far.  I had a very wet boda ride on Tuesday morning both to and from a meeting.  Most Ugandans don’t move when it rains, but I had an appointment, and being British I had to honour that appointment.  Well, who knew it was possible to get so cold in Africa – I was literally shivering and went purple and blotchy like I do back home.  I was so thankful that the power was on when I returned and I was able to have a warm shower – it’s the small things in life that matter!  I was also incredibly thankful for the meeting – it was such a blessing and encouragement.  I have started to reach out to other organisations in order to help those that I have come to know and love in the slums.  RUHU is not in a position to help these individuals so I have sought help from elsewhere.  I have to say I am absolutely amazed with the work that Retrack are doing in Uganda.  The people have been so kind and super efficient at dealing with me and communicating with me – which is a welcome change! I thank God for these people and for their willingness to help me provide the likes of Shadiah, Dennis and Mama Esa with opportunities.  I went with one of the Retrack workers into the slums today and we talked with Dennis, Shadiah and Mama Esa – opportunities are there if they want to grasp them – the onus is now on them.  Please pray they would reach out and grab these wonderful opportunities that Retrack is offering.    
   
This week I have been reminded again of just how corrupt certain systems are within Uganda.  So on Wednesday I took David back to the government hospital to have his cast removed.  The doctors were striking on this particular day.  However, they were willing to work upon him if I paid.  They asked for 50000 shillings, which is approximately £12.50.  I don’t agree with bribery...but because the boy had travelled home from boarding school especially.... and we had travelled to the hospital... I paid.  Five minutes later I was demanded another 20000.  When I asked what it was for I was informed it was to remove the cast...to which I replied, “I thought that’s what the 50000 was for.”  No, no, the 50,000 had merely been for the doctor to ask the boy how his arm was and check he was no longer feeling pain!  I had already carried out this ‘consultation’ on the boda, for free, on our way to the hospital!  The money was little for me to pay, but the principle.  I sat on the boda on the way home feeling so sad that people were really sick and were not being worked upon because they could not pay.  A big shout out for the NHS once again – we really don’t know how blessed we are. 

Please continue to remember Wasswa and Alex.  I am encouraging them, whenever I see them, to get into class, but they are facing much opposition and there are many barriers.  Pray they would feel loved and valued within the school. 
I don’t want to go into details but the following children are in need of lots of love and prayers – Fred, Paul and Umaru.  

Right I am going to bed now – let’s hope the bed bugs don’t bite! (have been getting these weird bites at night and one of the kids told me they looked like bed bug bites – it is such a glamorous life that I am living!!!)
Thanks for all your love, support and prayers x

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should write a book. What was the deep theological question?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they were many - let me tell you on the phone!

      Delete
  2. Night night sleep tight hope the bugs don't bite!lol and prayers

    ReplyDelete