Saturday 17 February 2018

A busy wee week!



Good evening all from Uganda.  A few wee updates from this week.  Firstly thanks to everyone for their love, prayers and support.
Things have been busy busy since I got here.
It has been lovely seeing old faces and new faces at Kathy’s Shelter.  I got straight to work on Tuesday telling Bible stories and stick, stick, sticking here, there and everywhere – posters, alphabet charts, number lines – I can’t seem to help myself... is obviously my teacher-ness!
On Valentine’s Day I also had the honour of sharing one of my favourite stories with the children at the Shelter – ‘Guess How Much I Love you’ and telling the children how important and special they all are to God.  I was them able to give them each a Valentine’s gift – courtesy of my sister and I’s mammoth TY Beanie Baby Collection, from back in the day!  I was worried that I may get stopped and searched when flying, as a potential drug mule, as 30 odd cuddly toys probably looks a bit suspicious! But praise the Lord I didn’t and the kids were super excited by them.
On Valentine’s Day I also took two sponsor boys – (young men) out for dinner and gifted them used laptops to help them with their university studies – massive thanks to Catriona and Anna for these donations.  Also massive thanks to Uncle Jim, we are rapidly getting through your sweetie selection!
It was a privilege to meet the ladies that Kathy works with in the slums on Wednesday and be introduced to their Sisterhood Soap Project.  I can also say their soap is super, have been trying it out this week!
I have also popped in to visit the children at RUHU, both the boys’ home and the girls’ home to fellowship with them.  These children hold such a dear place in my heart, so it was a real blessing to see them again. I bumped into one of my former ‘Healing Hearts’ pupils – she asked me if we were going to have our ‘club’ again this time, which touched my heart, as she had obviously enjoyed it, but also pained my heart as it won’t be possible – but I will definitely go back and visit this dear girl personally. 
It has been a blessing to be back in the slums again and see old street dwelling friends. They have demolished loads of the slums since I was here in December, so  I was worried about children that I personally know and love. Is always a joy to be reunited with them and know they are alive but also so sad to think the months and years have passed and they are still there, living such chaotic lives.  But I have seen lives transformed many times before, so there is always hope!
I had the privilege today of visiting Dennis, the boy I worked with and advocated for, who was on the streets during my last trip.  He is currently living at his family home and it was a blessing to visit him today – but his situation is still very much up in the air!  In some ways the journey has just begun.
I was also blessed today to catch up with one of my Ugandan friends, Jenny – she is such a blessing to have.  Likewise I am so thankful for Uncle Isaac, my longstanding boda driver – if it wasn’t for friends like this I don’t know how I would function!
Finally, a little update on Shaban – the boy with the bad foot – he can now walk and do a hobbly run thing, he laughs often and has the most beautiful smile.  Beauty from ashes!
Thank you to everyone for everything – we are doing this together x

5 comments: