Thursday 26 April 2018

The three months always go by quickly...

The three months always go by quickly and I find myself frantically rushing around towards the end of my trips trying to see people and do things. Two weeks today I will be home!

Since I last updated you I have done a fair bit of visiting. Kids in boarding school, a couple of widows and their children, the babies home, the ruhu boys home, school, hospital with Fred , slums....

I am currently sitting in Cafe Javas, using their Internet, whilst waiting on a friend. I just glanced down at my shoes and feet... They are filthy as I have just come straight from the slums. The slums become a mud bath when it rains. I don't even want to think about what I was walking in this morning... But I praise God that I didn't slip into the open sewers. I am currently surrounded by business men having meetings and well off Ugandans enjoying lunch. It is a million miles from Katwe... Whilst only five minutes up the road.

Please pray for the people that I met with when I go in the slums. Their situations are somewhat dire and it is often hard to know what to say. My way of coping whilst I am here is by not allowing myself to process too much....but this morning I felt a lump in my throat for sure and had to stop myself from crying. We went to visit the slum girls.... They were sitting drinking, smoking and sniffing whilst their filthy, malnourished babies wandered around. We spent time chatting with them and telling them that they are important and loved... But it is understandable that they have no hope as their situations are so dire.

One of the youths, Rebecca, explained that she was sniffing today to take away the pain and forget. Just last Thursday she lost her seven month year old and buried her on Saturday. My heart was breaking for her as she shared this. I hugged her and tried to whisper some words of comfort.... But what can you say to ease such pain? Please just lift her up in prayer....

I know in my heart that God can take things that are a mess and make them into something beautiful.... Let's pray that is the case for the lives of these girls and their babies.

Many of the people I meet in the slums don't seem ready to embrace change... But there are two particular girls that seem to have so much potential. I think I mentioned them last week... Mercy and Laila. Mercy was much better today and has recovered from her bad cough that I mentioned last week. When I look at these girls I see two beautiful people... But their lives are far from beautiful. Please pray for breakthrough and opportunities for them.

The girls were asking me all about my family today. They were shocked that I was 27 and didn't have any children, let alone a husband or a boyfriend! Because in comparison to them I am ancient! They wanted to see a picture of my family and know everyone's names and ages.... Including mama and tatta's ages! I won't tell you what their response was and who they thought looked older! But as I sat in this little shack in the slums I was struck how blessed I am to have such a loving family... Something which many people are missing. I am so thankful for them!

I am also so thankful for those of you who are reading this... for your love and support.

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment