Saturday 18 February 2017

There is never a dull moment!



Hello all. I hope this email finds you all well.  Thank you for your prayers, support, messages and emails – they mean a great deal!
Since I blogged last I have certainly been kept out of mischief! I have added a few more clinics and hospitals to my list of health institutions in Uganda! Last Saturday was quite the day.  I popped to the boys’ home in the morning to deliver some soap for a boy who was having some trouble with his skin and I picked up ‘Sparky’ ,the teddy bear, to take him to the safe house, as one of the babies was sick.  He was delighted to see ‘Sparky’ returning to the safe house!  I then went to the girls’ home and spent some time with them.  I helped them prepare the vegetables for lunch, which having my hair braided – not sure how hygienic that was, but not to worry.  We then had a nail painting session which was cut short as I received a phone call from the other volunteer.  He said he was not feeling good at all and could I get to the guest house as quick as possible.  We had to carry him into the clinic, he was so weak.  But praise God, several hours later, after being hooked up to a drip, he was able to walk out himself! 

Baby Jordan - excited to recieve bear and try on helmet!
Veg prep and hair dressing!

Nail painting - not sure about my technique, a salon certainly wouldnt hire me!
On Saturday evening after returning the volunteer to the volunteer house I rushed to Fred’s to check on him, as we had received some interesting phone calls throughout the day.  When I reached Fred’s home I found him in an unconscious state...this was then followed by a boda ride in the dark, whilst holding onto him, slapping him, pinching him and shouting at him the whole way.  Bless Uncle Isaac, our dear friend and boda driver, I have never seen him drive so fast.  I honestly thought we were going to lose Fred this time last week, so I praise God he is still with us.  Much has happened since last Saturday and yesterday he was admitted to hospital.  The situation just seems to be getting more and more complicated.  To be perfectly honest, I don’t even know what to ask you to pray – but please be remembering him in your prayers and the doctors looking after him. 

Thank you to all of you who kindly donated your old socks.  The children that i have been helping home school on Mondays had great fun making sock puppets this week.  This family are such a blessing and support.  Please give thanks for the Sweazy family!



I got to the slums this week...which I am delighted about.  I absolutely love the work in the slums, these children are so needy and so vulnerable, it is a privilege to be able to be there for them and show them some love in practical ways.  We went on Valentines’ Day and I shared the story – Guess How Much I Love You’ with the kids in the half way house.  I talked about the love we have for them and the love that God has for them.  I am eager to go back and see them all again.  I didn’t see my little friend Brian on Tuesday, but hope to see him soon.  

I managed to fit in a little teaching on Wednesday at RUHU School.  I forget each time, how different the education system is in Uganda, compared to back home.  The children were super excited by the pencils and rubbers – so thank you to the Global Group at Craigdhu for buying these!
So our little lodger, Stuart, went back to boarding school last Sunday.  Sharron, the cook, and I are missing him greatly, so we went to visit him this afternoon at boarding school. It was such a blessing to spend time with him!

Stuart this afternoon.
I will be heading out to fellowship at the boys’ home shortly.  No matter how busy or stressful the day has been it is always an absolute joy to fellowship with these kids.  They encourage and bless me so much!    

As ever, apologies for typos and bad grammar/spelling...rushing whilst the power is on!
Love Ruthie x       

5 comments:

  1. Exhausted at thought of all you have been doing. L d x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see the photos .
    Hope you are going to get some chill out time?love and prayers XXX

    ReplyDelete