Wednesday 8 February 2017

Apologies for lack of contact!



Good morning all. Apologies for lack of contact lately, has been somewhat busy.  I have a little bit of ‘bonus’ time just now, was supposed to be having a meeting prior to taking a child to hospital, however the meeting has been ‘postponed’.  This is becoming somewhat of a regular feature, plans continually falling through.  The Lord is certainly trying to teach me patience!
Here is a brief overview since I last wrote....
More trips to clinics and hospitals...Three establishments in the one day is my record.  The local clinic for one of the boys with a skin condition in the morning, the dentist for one of the girls who required a ‘filling’ – or ‘cementing’ as they say! Then Mengo Hospital for one of the boys who required surgery in the afternoon/evening. 
So I think I mentioned Stuart briefly in my last post, the boy requiring surgery.  I packed my bag, as did he, expecting to stay the night with him in hospital.  However, as we were walking up the hill to catch a boda, one of the other boys, Francis, came running up behind asking if he could come and offering to sleep the nights at the hospital with Stuart.  This enabled me to come home in the evening and sleep, which was much appreciated!  Francis was so cute.  I asked him on several occasions if he was sure he was happy to spend the night in the hospital with Stuart, to which he replied, ‘I am happy aunty, I have the gift of caring for sick people.’  Bless him.  Stuart is now on the road to recovery.  He has been staying at the volunteer house to recuperate. It has been such a blessing to get to know him more.  At first he was incredibly shy and reserved; I don’t know whether it was because he didn’t know me, or whether he was in so much pain prior to surgery, or a combination of both!  But now he has turned into this little comedian who makes me laugh daily when I come home, sometimes late and tired.  He is currently singing – ‘Who’s the King of the Jungle!’

Here are some pictures of Francis and Stuart.
The lovely Fancis!

The lovely Stuart, with a letter he wrote for the children back home....
I have managed to do some fellowshipping with the children in the evenings, which is always so lovely...though some of them have been telling me that I have been ‘lost’ lately.  I tried to explain to them that I was not ‘lost’ and that I had been spending time with Stuart in the hospital and also visiting Fred, who has been having a tough time lately.
I spent a lovely morning with the girls at the safe house last Friday.  They continue to enjoy braiding my hair and teaching me clapping games – at which I am useless, as I have no coordination whatsoever! I am somewhat concerned that my hair may fall out before I come home, what with all the braiding and my lovely new African Shampoo! When packing I was only able to pack a small bottle of Shampoo.  It is now finished.  I popped into the local supermarket and asked if they sold shampoo.  It came in a 1 litre jerry can container. My hair hasn’t fallen out after the first wash, so praise the Lord! 

The braiding continues....
They didn't stay in long...think I look a bit daft with braids!

Have spent a lot of time with Fred these last few days.  Many tears have been shed on my part.  My heart is literally breaking for him.  I don’t want to post details here, but as always, if you want more information speak to my lovely parents.  There has been laughter amidst the tears, and he does have good days, but he desperately needs your prayers.
Fred, Dorah and Auntie x


On Sunday afternoons, after going to church with the children, I join my American missionary friends at their home, for their house church.  I stayed over this Sunday evening and did some homeschooling for their children on Monday.  Hopefully this is going to be a weekly thing.  It is always a joy to spend time with them and their beautiful children.  When I am around other ‘muzungoes’ (white people), I forget to speak slowly...which sometimes results in blank looks, even from these Americans, as they try to tune into my accent!  Part of their maths work on Monday was to do with American money – which I have to confess, I just skipped, as I hadn’t a clue!  
Gorgeous little Cati!
Here are some of their beautiful children
Mask fun - super excited!

Ava the giraffe! 



Haven’t made it to the slums yet as Uncle Patrick has been so busy.  I love the work in the slums so I am eager to go and be with the kids.  God – willing we will get there this afternoon.  I am hopeful, though not holding my breath, as plans are ever changing!

Apologies as ever for any typos, spelling or grammar mistakes.   I always stress to the children back home the need to ‘proof read’ their work.  However, I am not practising what I preach, as I am rushing to get this done before going to hospital with Stuart for Out Patient Appointment – though we don’t actually have an ‘appointment’.  Rather I have ‘Doctor Frank’s’ number in my phone and I am to call him when we arrive – how is that for professionalism....can you imagine if our doctors handed out their personal mobile numbers to their patients?!     

Thank you so much for your prayers, messages and love – so much appreciated.
Give thanks – Stuart is recovering and is blessing me with daily laughter and smiles!
Give thanks – For safety as I ‘move around’.  Witnessed a boda accident the other night, which reminds me just how thankful I ought to be when I reach my destinations safely!   
Give thanks – for good health thus far.  The extent of my problems is very itchy, ugly looking mosquito bites, so I am thankful for that!
My biggest prayer request is for my ‘little brother’ Fred – please pray for him.
Love Ruth x
   

12 comments:

  1. Lovely to see photos.hope shampoo lasts!don't worry about bringing any home!love and prayers XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always such a delight to read from you. Glad you are having such beautiful growth moments xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you. Hope all is well with you 😊

      Delete
  3. Hope you managed to get to slums and perhaps meet up with wee Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately not! The plans changed! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great to hear your news. Will share this morning at Livewires. We give them an update every week and spend some time praying for you and the children. Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated. I miss them. Pass on my love please x

      Delete
  6. Great to read your news and hear updates on Sunday. Lovely photos too. Praying for stamina and rest for you and that the Lord will especially minister to each of the children. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying God gives you patience, quickly! Such an encouraging story about Francis and I'm glad to hear Stuart is recovering well. I'm glad to hear you're hair is suriviving! Remember it is not what hairstyle you have how how you wear it with confidence! Praying for Fred and for strength for yourself. Glad you are having a good time home schooling. What are the chances of being in Uganda and being asked to teach about American currency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also giving thanks for your good health and praying that it continues x

      Delete