Friday 10 March 2017

Another exciting week!



Hello there dear friends and family, I hope this blog finds you well.

So last Saturday I went with Sharron, the Ugandan girl that I stay with, to meet her family in the village.  Sharron cooks my evening meals for me and washes my dirty clothes – she is such a lovely girl and it has been a huge blessing meeting her.  She is just 19 years old but she has been through quite a lot.  Her father passed away when she was still in primary school and her mother passed away when she was in S6.  This left Sharron, her elder sister and her two younger brothers orphaned.  Not long after I arrived in January Sharron’s elder sister of 24 passed away during child birth.  Not only was Sharron heartbroken at the tragic death of her sister, she was also becoming increasingly concerned about her two younger brothers, Shadrack and Shafik.  After the death of her mother, her elder sister had been the one to finance the boys’ education.  Following the sister’s death in January the boys were asked to leave school as the fees could not be paid.  

As a family we agreed to pay the boys’ school fees for the first term.  On Saturday I went to meet the boys and the extended family and settle the school fees.  Our journey was interesting to say the very least.  The taxi/minbus only took us so far and then turfed us out into a Toyota Corona.  Myself and Sharon sat side by side in the front passenger seat, good thing she just wee! After a wee while we stopped to pick up more passengers.  I was greatly confused when a different man returned and sat in the driver seat.  I asked Sharron if we had changed driver.  She said, “No, the driver is coming.” The driver then jumped in the car and sat next to this elderly gentleman.  I actually couldn’t stop laughing, as the driver stretched over this old man ever time he wanted to change gear.  It was quite the experience, cracked windscreen, doors that only opened from the outside, 4 people in the front seats, several people in the back seats, holding a panel of glass...Praise God for keeping us safe!
We went as far as the Tanzanian border and crossed over for a brief period of time. I can now say I have visited Tanzania – albeit for about 20 minutes, before crossing back over to visit Sharron’s family.

Sharron and I - in Tanzania!
Her family could not have been nicer. They were so welcoming, appreciative and kind.  I was somewhat embarrassed when it was time to leave.  They showered the gifts upon us.... a whole sugarcane, a massive jack fruit, passionate fruits, mangoes, eggs, beans and two live chickens!  Those of you who know me well will know that I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to flapping birds; however I am getting braver by the day.  The journey back to the taxi was another interesting one, as we piled all of our goodies onto the back of the boda/motorcycle.  Our sack fell off several times.  But we all reached home safely, myself, Sharron and the two chickens and no cracked eggs!
Please pray for Sharron and her family.  It was such a blessing to meet them all.  
Sharron's little brothers!

Our chickens!
On Tuesday I visited the maama of two of the children that attend RUHU school.  My mum and I had visited this family in the summer.  The maama is HIV positive and last summer was looking quite sickly, in addition little baby Solomon was looking somewhat malnourished.  The maama had been instructed not to breastfeed, but could not always afford to buy milk and as a result little baby Solomon was a scrawny wee thing.  

However, on Tuesday he turned 1 year old.  He is looking so much healthier now and the maama is also looking well.  It was such a blessing to take some treats and help them celebrate the little one’s birthday.  Again, this family could not be nicer.  They are so appreciative and so lovely. 
Praise God that baby Solomon is looking so much healthier, and praise God that the maama is doing well and now has work. 
The birthday boy

Maama and her three beautiful children!

Excited by his new drinking cup!



On Wednesday I visited Robert and Junior's maama again.  She is the lady I mentioned last week who is suffering from cancer.  She showed me her wound this week.  I have to say I have never seen anything like it.  It was truly horrendous.  Please pray for her and the family.

I have spent a fair bit of time at the dentist with children this week and am going there again tomorrow morning! Seeing all these rotten and decayed teeth is making me somewhat paranoid about my own – I have been brushing my teeth harder than ever this week!

Thank you to those of you who prayed for Joan this week.  She is one of the young mums who lives in the safe house.  It is a long and complicated story, but she is now safe and well, thank the Lord!

I have continued to enjoy spending time in the slums this week.  Despite how dire these children’s circumstances are, they never fail to make me laugh and smile.  One of the boys was in hysterics on Thursday as I shared with him my recently learnt Luganda Numbers.  Number eight is ‘munana’, but I always forget how to pronounce it and just say ‘banana’ instead.  This made him laugh so much, bless him.  I just pray that my being there and spending time with these kids would remind them that they are loved and not forgotten.





So Fred went to Butabika Hospital on the 20th February and I have been visiting him ever since.  After a ‘good’ week he got discharged today.  I am thrilled he is no longer there and so thankful that he had a good week, without any episodes (Mon-Fri).  Please pray for him as he is now back home.  He doesn’t want to return to Butabika and I don’t want him to return to Butabika, so please pray!  It is going to be a long journey.
Fred and I

Right, I think I am going to stop there as my brain is somewhat tired!
Thank you to everyone for their love, messages, prayers and support....
Love Ruthie x     
PS. I haven’t reread this, so hope it all makes sense and not too many typos!

4 comments:

  1. Like the chickens but don't bring them home as Harley will chase them but Lottie would love them.lol XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure!!! The taxi ride made me laugh. Grateful to God for your safety xx

    ReplyDelete