Friday 3 March 2017

This week's happenings...



Hello there friends.  I hope this blog finds you all well. So here’s a little update of the latest happenings here in Uganda.

I have added a few more clinic trips to my list.  Children with urine infections, teeth problems, stomach ulcers and malaria.  The frustrating thing is that almost all of these conditions have been caused partly by a lack of education concerning; sanitation, oral hygiene and malarial prevention...  During my final month I hope to do something in this area, in terms of some general education.  I made some posters this morning and it struck me how un-artistic I am and how I depend on my computer so much when I am back home!
Despite being sick with malaria and stomach ulcers, Fiaso still wanted a picture! 



My little posters....

Hope they help...
One of the boys at RUHU school wrote me a letter this week telling me how sick his mum was and how sad he was feeling.  In response to this letter I said to Robert and his brother Junior that I would happily come and meet their mother and spend some time with them.  Robert had told me in his letter that she was unable to walk or sit and just lay in her bed. When Robert, Junior and I reached their home I was lead into their mother’s room.  She was indeed very weak and incredibly thin.  I don’t think I have ever seen somebody so thin in real life.  However, she greeted me with the biggest smile ever and was so thankful for the juice and snacks that I had brought.  Communication was a bit of an issue, so I didn’t find out as much information as I had perhaps hoped.  I did find out that Maama Maria has cancer and that she has been lying in her bed like this for about a year. From what I gather, she is not receiving any treatment for her cancer; rather glucose infusions when they have enough money, in order to give her some more strength.  I was very honest with her and the boys and said that I couldn’t promise money, but that I could assure them of my prayers and the prayers of my family and friends.  Please join with me in praying for Robert, Junior and Maama Maria.
Maama Maria, Robert, Junior and Maama

Please pray for this dear lady...

Thank you for your continued prayer with regards to Fred.  I am so thankful for those here in Uganda that have been supporting not only Fred, but also myself recently – you know who you are and I want to thank you.  Fred is still in Butabika hospital.  Should you want some more information, please speak to my mother or father...they know all the ‘ins and outs’ of the situation and patiently listen as I offload! 

On Tuesday afternoon after the feeding programme in the slums, we went on ‘the hunt’ for my little friend Brian, from the previous two summers, armed with a photograph.  The story is long but the conclusion that was reached and I am hoping and praying is true....is that Brian has returned home to his family! I pray this is the case. 
Dear little Brian in the summer....


The vast majority of the street kids carry a plastic bottle or a small rag which they use for sniffing their fuel/petrol.  This is a common sight in the slums.  However, in all the times I have visited the slums I have never seen where they source it from.  I saw on Tuesday.  I found it very disturbing seeing a big fat maama sitting pouring this ‘poison’ into bottles as the street kids gathered around her.  I found it disgusting to think that someone was making money out of these poor children’s misfortune.  It is not only the kids in the slums that require prayers, but the likes of this lady!  

The daycare kids enjoyed a trip to the park this morning.  They got unbelievably excited when the parachute was produced and had lots of fun.  Thank you to those at Craigdhu Primary for funding this parachute.




I have been able to catch up with my aunt and uncle’s sponsor child, Brendah, which has been a blessing.  She is a lovely, lovely girl and is so appreciative.



Tomorrow I am heading to Masaka for the day with the Ugandan girl who lives with me, Sharron.  This will be quite a long journey and I will no doubt have lots to report on in my next blog! Sharron has such a touching story and such a kind heart...I will share her story with you next time. 


Thanks for all your love, prayers, messages and support!
Love Ruthie x
  

4 comments:

  1. As always good to see photos and hear news.we will be praying for all those mentioned and for safety as you travel tomorrow on that busy road XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read your latest update Ruth and to see all the photos too. Praying on for you in all that you are doing and for the precious ones you are getting alongside. You are doing amazing work...Be encouraged...God will multiply your willingness and love for all these dear ones beyond belief. Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Hope you are doing ok xxxx

      Delete