Saturday 3 March 2018

Another week...



 Good evening all.  I hope this update finds you well and that all of you back home have not turned into icicles and snow creatures! The boda drivers were all wrapped up here today after last night’s storm – Isaac was wearing two jackets today!  I wonder what they would think if they came and joined you all back in Scotland just now, how many jackets would they wear?!

I love the church that I have started going to with Kathy and Hassan.  Last Sunday’s message could not have been more appropriate, and despite being loaded with the cold it was very uplifting.  God’s timing is spot on.  I headed to the shelter last Sunday afternoon and it was ideal as I had taken pop corn for the boys and they were just about to watch a movie – so it was just like the cinema!
On Monday I went to visit some RUHU kids in boarding school – somehow they had heard that I was in the country and wanted me to visit.  I managed to see some, but not others, as they were busy doing tests, so I will return to see them at another point.  I hope and pray that the goodie bags that I had prepared were given to the children and not eaten by the staff members – I find myself in a place where I trust no one these days!

Monday afternoon at the shelter was fun, I did a Bible study with the children, we played with the parachute, they played some football and did some exciting science experiments – all credit goes to Kathy Houk and her friend Connie re the science experiments....those of you who know me well will know that science is not exactly my thing! 

I visited the RUHU girls for prayers on Monday night.  Little Zula had a great time trying on my sparkly shoes and using my scarf to create some kind of dress! These children are so creative and innovative...though I don’t think I will be using it as a dress anytime in the near future, I think I will stick with it as a scarf!

On Tuesday I took Fred to Butabika –the mental hospital – for a review.  Every time I visit this place I just feel so sad for the patients.  It is close to some kind of work house or prison camp, at least what I imagine they would be like.  One particular patient, James, took a real interest in me and was very concerned about me.  I think he thought I was a patient and he reassured me that everything was going to be ok.  He even wrote a letter for me, bless him.  Please pray for all the patients in this institution, it is almost like they are forgotten people.  Pray they would know that they are important, they are special and they are loved.   The conditions don’t exactly say that to them.  And please continue to pray for Fred...often it feels like one step forward and a hundred steps back!

Tuesday afternoon was much more pleasant.  We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar at the shelter and then made beautiful butterflies.  It is so lovely to see a child who totally lacks confidence, says he can’t do it and hides his paper under the desk...then with a little bit of encouragement produces something truly beautiful!

My wonderful friend Jenny came to my little house on Tuesday evening to cook me supper.  It was lovely – the food and the company.  At one point she said ....’Your house is so nice it’s like you are living in a movie.’  I laughed and said to her, ‘Well I can assure you my life is not like a movie!’  But perhaps it is...some kind of drama...there is always drama here!

Wednesday was an interesting day. Fairly normal to start with.  Shelter in the morning – Bible story, teaching of time continued, What’s the time Mr Wolf (except we changed it to Mr Lion to make it culturally appropriate!) and parachute.  In the afternoon I decided to go and give my friend Natasha a helping hand, looking after her tribe of little people.  Natasha is on the mend, praise God!  We enjoyed making bracelets together, colouring, playing tig, hide and seek and dancing.  And then literally just before I left I had a major coughing/choking attack/difficulties breathing.  I cannot thank Natasha Sweazy enough for her first aid, Mama Jennifer for her prayers and Wanda Sweazy and Charlton Sweazy for taking me to the hospital to get checked.  I am so grateful to all these people I have mentioned above but I am even more thankful to God for keeping me safe... Everything was fine at the hospital, just some freak attack.

I had a slightly quieter day on Thursday just at the shelter. Assisting those who struggle with maths, one on one, dishes, keeping  a sick child company and Bible story.  Please pray for Ibrahim he is quite sick just now, some kind of bacterial/chest infection....when I asked him how he was yesterday he said, ‘I am not ok, but I will be fine.’  Bless him.

My famous last words as I left the shelter on Thursday were....’It’s ok, it won’t rain on me I am going to hurry home.’  Well it did and I got completely soaked.  Have actually never seen rain like it, even in Uganda.  So heavy and just kept coming.  Power went off and there was no warm water but I cannot complain at all.  I leant today that some houses and homes have been completely flooded and destroyed.

I had a meeting with African Hearts Community Organisation on Friday regarding Dennis which was very positive and encouraging.  Let’s pray we can get the ball rolling for this dear boy.  The director has two contacts/friends who are welders so the next step is to liaise with them and see if they are willing to take Dennis on as an apprentice and help him learn the trade, whilst providing accommodation and monitoring.   

Today was a busy wee day at the shelter, Feeding of the 5000 story, followed by lesson on Australia and Aboriginal artwork.  Then went to check on my sponsor boy.  Got caught in the rain again! Sheltered under a ‘not very good shelter’ for over an hour . A little girl was also sheltering with us.  She edged close and closer to me until I eventually asked her if she wanted to come under my scarf and cuddle in – body heat sure does work. This evening I visited my mum and dad’s sponsor boy, Moses, who is now at university/college.  When we left the cafe something happened which has never happened in all my years of going to this cafe....A group of about 5 or 6 children, all under the age of ten, just swarmed around me asking for money.  They are always there sitting begging, but not normally so ‘in your face’.  I explained to them that I wasn’t going to give them money, as I know they are being controlled by people higher up.  I asked them if they were hungry though – this is one of the few phrases I can say in Luganda! They nodded their heads. I went into my bag to retrieve my leftover pasta dish from the restaurant.  They ran away excitedly and sat on the kerb in the dark and shared the creamy pasta dish.  Let’s pray they enjoyed it and that the good Lord keeps these little ones safe tonight on the streets.

Am super excited to have hot water tonight...so am going to go and shower and enjoy!

Thanks again for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment