Friday 30 March 2018

What have I been up to since I last blogged?



-          My Ugandan friend, Betty, came over and very kindly braided my hair whilst we chatted and caught up. I think I lasted for about one hour and then I had to remove them, as my head felt like it was going to explode!  I don’t know how these Ugandan ladies do it? I think I will leave the hair braiding to them!

-          I visited a local government school a few times this week to volunteer.  Some of the classes have well over 100 pupils.  I asked one of the teachers how many jotters she marked on an average day.  She said sometimes 400!  Can you imagine?!  No wonder she was happy when I offered to help her mark during lunch and at the end of the day.  Her comment was, ‘God obviously  remembered me today, when he sent you to help me with these books.’  Bless her.  The staff have been so welcoming to me.  The class of 40 odd P1s enjoyed The Very Hungry Caterpillar this week, along with some colouring in – which was a novelty.  The school are also open to me doing some trauma healing with small groups of kids, which is a blessing.

-           A trip to Butabika Mental Hospital with Fred. He is making progress so we praise God for that.  He is testing my patience however, so please pray I would be loving and kind.  I felt like such a grump and a nag with him on Tuesday.  Pray I would get the balance between being firm but loving.
-          I have enjoyed visiting and helping out in small ways at my friend’s English classes for the South Sudanese Refugees.  The ladies are so funny.  They have little English but enough to enquire as to whether I was married or not!  When I replied no, one of the ladies said she ‘would get for me a husband from her country’. She then went on to say, her husband could marry me and I could be his second wife.  I replied....’No, no....it should be one, one!’  They laughed and laughed.  I pray in the short time that I have left I would be able to witness to these ladies and show them love, despite the language barriers.

-          I had a meeting with YWAM Kampala about potential opportunities to volunteer and minister with them in Katwe – the largest slum in Kampala (as in The Queen of Katwe).  They were so willing and welcoming.  I will visit Katwe with them this coming week.  

-          I had a meeting with African Hearts regarding Dennis (the boy I worked closely with in the slums, during my last trip).  All being well we will pick him up from his home on Wednesday and he will start his welding apprenticeship.  He said he wanted this year to be the year of change.  Let’s pray this comes to pass.  This is coming at a cost – training, accommodation, food, transport etc – so thank you so much to those of you who gave to me so generously prior to my trip.  Your money will help contribute to this venture.   I can’t thank you enough! 

-          I took my mum and dad’s sponsor boy, who is like 22 years old, to get a typhoid immunisation today.  It was the funniest thing ever.  It would appear that they don’t commonly immunise adults in Uganda.  I kid you not we were the only ones there that didn’t have a baby!  I couldn’t stop laughing when they asked for his name to fill in the form.  It said –‘Baby’s name’.   So from now on we will call him Baby Moses!

-          I had mentioned in passing to a friend that I would love to learn Luganda.  So today I took my first ‘lesson’.  I have much learn.  Now I sympathise with the Sudanese ladies.  Language learning is hard!
-          Tomorrow I head to the village to visit a friend.  Please pray for safe travels.  The roads are crazy here!

Thank you for all your prayers, support and love.  Hope you all have a blessed Easter weekend!

Photos will follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment