Tuesday 24 January 2017

Blessings in disguise!



So yesterday afternoon one of the girls from the safe house was feeling unwell so I took her to the local clinic.  After taking bloods they confirmed she had quite severe malaria and gastroenteritis.  They said that she would have to be admitted for the night.  The poor girl was clearly scared and said, ‘So I am going to be here all night, all alone.’  She was not a girl I knew well, rather a girl that I had met before and knew her face.  Whilst she is 15 years old, she seemed more like a 5 year old, so vulnerable and scared.  I offered to stay the night with her, it was the least I could do. 
Yesterday - sickly and deeply sad
Throughout the afternoon, evening and the night she received various different IV treatments.  I found out this morning they were also treated her for typhoid....had obviously missed that one yesterday, what with communication barriers!
I was touched by the love of the other girls at the safe house who popped in to see her.  I was really struggling this morning to ‘keep it together’ as I sat next to her on the bed.  It wasn’t even the illness that upset me so, it was the deep sadness in her eyes. 
Again I was touched by the love and kindness of the other girls from the safe house.  They popped in at the very moment when the tears were trickling down my cheeks.  They hugged me and told me she would be fine and not to cry.  This is so beautiful considering what these young girls have been through – horrendous things I can’t even begin to imagine.  As I started to cry the girl seemed to change to a certain extent, it was as though she suddenly realised how deeply I cared about her.  She also told me not to cry and that she would be fine. 
As the day went by she got stronger physically and she seemed to open up to gradually.  We did some colouring in and listened to some music; I bought her some soda and some ice cream and told her to drink lots of water!
Whilst colouring in she wrote me the most beautiful letter. I am not doing what I am doing to be thanked, but when something as beautiful as this happens, it is truly humbling.
Late afternoon she was discharged, with oral drugs, so I took her home on a boda (motorcycle – local transport – don’t worry I don’t drive it, it has a driver!)
She then proceeded to give me a bracelet with her name on it and a lovely necklace belonging to her – I said that these were her things and that she didn’t need to give me anything, but she was adamant.  She has so little, yet she is willing to give what she has – so inspiring.
I am so thankful to those of you who had the heads up and were praying for this dear girl.  Our prayers were answered in more ways than I could expect! Yesterday she was so guarded and so sickly, yet when we departed today she was smiling and told me that she loved me – what a blessing!
Am thankful to be back under my own mosquito net tonight...the ones at the hospital were somewhat holey!
Apologies for typos, spelling and grammar mistakes...my brain is not quite all there just now!
Finally, if I don’t respond to comments please don’t think me rude, I know some people have been posting and I have not been receiving!
Thank you all for your prayers, love and support x
A changed girl - praise God!

7 comments:

  1. Excellent post Ruthie. Great to read stories like this. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear the change in this girl,we will keep praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful to see the pictures Ruth, will keep praying for you and everyone there with you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much x
      Love to you and john x

      Delete
  4. What a lovely story and a challenging one. To hear of a girl with so little giving so much and to hear of the impact showing true compassion can have! Incredible!

    ReplyDelete